Saturday 31 January 2015

Saying Goodbye to Dad

15/4/33 - 30/1/15


It is so hard to say goodbye............but I will remember....


You always found something to make you happy. 

When you lost the ability to raise your hands above your head your response was " I can still lift them to my shoulders." 

When you lost the use of a hand , you said " I still have another hand." 

When you couldn't play your dulcimer any more, you played your harmonicas . 

When you couldn't play your harmonicas , you sang.

You always had a passion about something. 

You still shouted at the rugby on the television , even when you didn't understand the rules anymore.

Your glass was always half full, never half empty when things got really bad.

You loved to make people laugh, right up to the end.

You lived a whole year longer, after the Drs said you were dying. You always were stubborn!


You have always been there and although I know you were ready at the end,there will be a huge hole in our lives - love you and will miss you always Dad. X

12 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss. Sending you my love. You have written so sensitively about your Dad in previous blog posts that I have a vivid picture of him, both as he used to be and in some of the more recent struggles, and of your close relationship with him. Whatever the struggles I know it will be a big adjustment for you all and I wish you all well as you get used to the 'new normal'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your sad loss. What a beautiful tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Your words are beautiful and I'm crying as I'm typing this. My dad is in very poor health too so this is very close to my own heart. Huge virtual hugs. Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read your other posts about your Dad and your love for him shone through. I am so sorry for your loss and wish you well at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry Claire. I know it's been a long struggle for so long. Your dad sounds like such a strong, wonderful person - I can't imagine how hard it is for you. Sending you love. Sx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Claire, such sad news. In writing this beautiful tribute, containing so much that actually made me smile, it shows that you seem very like your Dad.
    Sending a huge virtual hug & love, Vikki XxXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. He must have been a wonderful man and father. I am really sorry for your loss. Take care, Nessie

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sorry to hear about your Dad Claire. Thinking about you - take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claire, You have my deepest condolences. I love how you described his positivity, even toward the end. I'm sure he was so proud of all that you did for him. Sending love and light to you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of you Claire, take care my lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your father Claire, I lost mine 8 years ago and it is such a hard time! Hope you are keeping well.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost my beautiful dad September 2013 to cancer, and it is such a horrible experience. So great that you have so many wonderful memories of him. Sending you big cyber hugs x

    ReplyDelete