Friday 1 February 2013

Tips to cut your Spending

Frugal Friday - How to cut that budget!


Fact 1:  We all have to eat. 

Fact 2:  We all would like to spend less at the supermarket.

Fact 3: We are all busy and running about like headless chickens most of the time!



So here is a reminder of some of my tips for cutting the budget further.




  • A bargain is not a bargain if you did not want or need it in the first place.
  • Do not get dragged into 3 for 2 offers , without checking other prices first.
  • Drop a brand on your everyday products .
  • Buy in bulk ( unbranded goods can be really good quality and value. eg £5 for a 3kg bag of rice)
  • Check out prices at your butchers for meat - they are often cheaper than supermarkets. ( Tesco supermarket butcher is also cheaper than the pre packet items. e.g free range chicken for £5)
  • Write a menu plan and a list - stick to it.
  • Batch bake meals. This means you have meals in the freezer and you don't need to shop as often.
  • Shop online. You are less likely to impulse buy.
  • Don't shop when you are hungry.
  • Try a cheaper supermarket e.g. Lidl or Aldi. Shop for a month if you have to drive further.
  • Stockpile products you usually buy when they are on a good deal.
  • Make your own bread, pizza bases, rolls etc
  • Check online sites for coupons and vouchers everytime you shop.
  • Organise yourself - this saves panic buying last minute.

One of the things I have learnt about trying to be careful about how I spend is the last point in this list. I have to be organised. It is so easy to spend more if you don't plan and organise your spending and your time. I wrote a post on my daily organisation yesterday and have a few posts coming up explaining some other aspects of the way I get organised over the next few weeks.

On another note, a lovely reader did point out to me very sweetly this week that sometimes it is easy in our quest to save money on our shopping to forget those things that are important to us. Sometimes holding fast to our principals does mean spending a bit more occasionally and there are times when this is definitely worth doing. It is not all about the pennies! 


Design ©2012 Another New Day
www.takingachanceinlife.blogspot.uk 2012 - 2013
All personal images are owned by Another New Day
unless stated otherwise.


Images may not be downloaded,manipulated or reproduced without prior written permission. All rights are reserved.
Commercial or Private use without explicit written consent is prohibited and action will be taken through UK and worldwide copyright laws.

7 comments:

  1. These are some great tips, thank you. I'm terrible at keeping a budget, and as a student it's really something i need to get the hang of!

    mermaidhairandtoomuchmakeup.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big ALDI fan; in fact we do most of our grocery shopping there; its the best bargain in town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read and carry with me your rule #1. I'm terrible at that. I need to work on planning better. I'm sure I waste quite a bit of money trying to figure out what to make for dinner on those nights when I'm too tired to think. I miss you and hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 100% with you regarding online shopping. I've been doing that for a few years now and have definitely reduced the weekly grocery bill. Even though I pay a few euro for delivery, I no longer buy the 'special offer' or impulse buy things that seem attractive at the time. Now if only the delivery man would put away my groceries as well, I'd be really happy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pleased to report I adhere to all these rules! I hate to overspend on shopping when I can spend it on something else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can so indentify with the 'headless chicken' syndrome! I do plan the meals each week according to 'who is doing what and when etc'. The 'problem' for me is we have 3 large supermarkets not too far away - it' so tempting to pop in! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tips! This comes in handy for those of us on a tight budget.

    Sylvia
    www.sylvialovespink.com

    ReplyDelete