Wednesday 13 March 2013

Facial Cleansing Brush

 Wednesday Beauty Buys



The cheaper alternatives.

I have been intrigued for a while by the Clarisonic Brush, but with a hefty price of over £100 I won't be trying this with my budget restrictions at the moment. However, I also have my eye on the No7 equivalent that is on the market at a more budget friendly £24.99. I had a try with one and the brush is very gentle which is a must for my sensitive skin. At the moment they have a 3 for 2 offer on so the possibility of getting together with 3 friends and splitting the cost between 3 is very tempting. I am hoping they might have a No7  £5 off voucher around as well. Between 3 that would make the price very reasonable. 

I do find that exfoliating is so important as you get older. As my skin is fairly sensitive to different products I find it difficult to use anything other than a gentle exfoliant . This doesn't always get my skin in tip top condition and at the end of a winter of being in a centrally heated house , then coming out into cold air, my skin is looking tired and dry. A facial brush means I get to use my existing cleanser,which won't irritate my skin, but increases it's benefits with the exfoliation of a brush. Once you have removed the dead skin cells you are able to absorb the creams you apply more effectively.

Before I take this decision I thought I might try the budget version and see if my skin would benefit from a facial brush at all . I used my Boots points to get this Botanics Facial Brush. It is lovely and soft and I have been using it to massage in my Liz Earle hot Cloth Cleanser before I remove it with a muslin cloth.




I have noticed immediately that my skin is softer and less tired looking. The skin around my eyes looks "tighter" after use and my pores seem smaller. It almost seems too good to be true. I have only been using it for a week, but the difference has been quite noticeable. I feel it has decreased fine lines around my eyes and my make up goes on so much more evenly.

And the science: (!)

  • Brushing encourages blood to the surface which brings oxygen and nutrients to the skin so you are helping to feed your skin when you brush it.
  • Brushing means you are exfoliating and getting rid of dead skin cells. As we age the process of getting rid of old cells slow down, they cling to the surface longer causing a dull complexion. Exfoliating by brushing means a brighter complexion.
  • Exfoliating gets rid of impurities in the pores helping them look smaller and cleaner. As we get older our pores look bigger, cleaning them in this way makes them appear smaller.
  • Brushing stimulates the muscles under the skin. This has the same effect as a face massage and helps firm up the muscles over time causing less sagging.
I know a face brush may not appeal to everyone, but if you want to give it a go without investing in something that costs silly money then this botanics brush retails at £6 full price. This is sold at Boots. The only niggle I have is that after just a week it is looking a little tired .If you are interested in looking at a more permanent alternative here are some suggestions of varying budgets:





Olay Pro


Design ©2012 Another New Day
www.takingachanceinlife.blogspot.uk 2012 - 2013
All personal images are owned by Another New Day
unless stated otherwise.


Images may not be downloaded,manipulated or reproduced without prior written permission. All rights are reserved.
Commercial or Private use without explicit written consent is prohibited and action will be taken through UK and worldwide copyright laws.








7 comments:

  1. It's funny isn't it, I'm a real advocate of dry skin brushing on my body and have done it for years and I use a regular exfoliator on my face but for some reason the thought of using a brush, albeit a soft one, on my face really freaks me out! I don't know why! But when you said your fine lines have improved and the skin around your eyes appears "tighter", I'm sold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I dared try it as I have sensitive skin, but it really has improved my skin no end ( I think!!)!! Give it a try with one of the cheap option first though!

      Delete
    2. I will do. I am lucky that I don't have sensitive skin, so it could be a winner for me!

      Delete
  2. Do you know I'm terrible at exfoliating and now I think I might be missing a trick- will definitely invest in a body brush now I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth it. I read somewhere about a ldy who brushed her face with a soft toothbrush all her adult life and she had amazing skin!!

      Delete
  3. I was only thinking about getting a body brush yesterday to try and help with my appalling circulation. Never crossed my mind that a brush could benefit facial skin in so many ways! I must say the reduction in pore size sounds very appealing - and anything that tightens things up is welcome. Going to look into it! Thanks Claire - great post! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a body brush that I haven't used for ages, but now you mention circulation I think I will! My legs , feet and hands are always cold! I am utterly hooked on the facial brush , although I want a more permanent one now of course - my skin is so much better after just a short time of brushing!! Thanks Jenny! XX

      Delete