Tuesday 30 October 2012

No talk of Christmas before November.

Thats the rule in our house!


For quite a while no sooner did the summer holidays end than the talk of Christmas would start amongst the kids, with hastily written Christmas lists being thrust under my nose at every opportunity. So we implemented the rule of, "No talk of Christmas before November." Unfortunately, as is typical of children, we now have a count down to the beginning of November and they get more excited as the day arrives with whispered plans of what they might talk about!

I am a planner and an organiser. I don't like to leave things to the last minute when I am then presented with the only option of smash and grab at the supermarket and panic buying presents for relations. However, I refuse to let Christmas take over my whole year by snaffling presents away at every opportunity and spending too many months excessively plotting and planning what is in effect, one day. Christmas is in December, planning a reasonable budget and being strategic about what and when to buy means Christmas does not need to dominate any more time than it is meant to! 

So, starting in November ( as I am allowed to talk about Christmas then) I am doing a series of posts from budgeting to present buying to budget Christmas dinners. I shall call these posts Christmas Crackers so watch out for them!!




9 comments:

  1. I've already bought loads and wrapped it! I am so proud of myself and love to be organised as well as sticking to strict budgets for the festive season. I suppose I am lucky that the kids are older so I don't get over excited little ones anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy....its getting to be that time again! I do love the season.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year everything is going to be on a strict budget and that has set me off my usual early planning. I look forward to your 'Christmas Crackers' to help me get in the spirit of it again! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I still have a few weeks to wait too :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit I am trying to ignore Christmas is on its way I am still waiting for summer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always start off with the best of intentions (have actually bought a few bits already)but usually end up frantically wrapping presents at the last minute! (as if you couldn't have guessed!) Looking forward to your Christmas Cracker posts - however we're still in October (just) so should we even be discussing this yet? ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It changes from year to year for me. When I moved house in December one year, I had all the presents, bought and wrapped before the house move. Other years, I've left it pretty last minute. I'm the one who buys something for someone and then spots something else which is better and then buy them the better present and don't know what to do with the not as good present anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a funny rule, I don't even think. Mention Christmas until almost December, although. Do start planing Christmas gifts far earlier than that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds great - looking forward to reading them!

    ReplyDelete