Friday 5 October 2012

Winter Coats

Layer Up!

Following on from yesterdays confession that I need to be warm, here I am again with another hot water bottle, perusing my winter coats ( the OH will have to relent and put the heating on now it's October, surely?). I must admit this is an area I tend not to spend money in very often. I love jackets and lightweight blazers , but until last winter my complaints of cold were met with the response from my OH of, "Layer up!" Layer up, I ask you. Even with thermals, two T's, a jumper, cardy and jacket I was still cold , and rather bulky. The year of the snow was the final straw and I marched off, layered up, one particularly cold day to buy myself an expensive, North Face, grey Metropolis Parka aka cosytoes for adults.






I have never looked back. I am never cold ( when I am wearing it). I am never in more than 3 layers ( including the coat) and I can see it lasting me another 10 years. An investment buy, but definitely cheaper in the long run than a series of inexpensive, flimsy jackets that are not warm enough to keep the chill out on a mild Autumn day, let alone in the depths of the British winter! It is deeply warm, fits snugly and is shaped in at the waist .

I did shop around prior to my purchase and my advice when buying a padded parka such as this is......

  • Don't size up. You won't need loads of layers underneath anyway and you'll only end up looking like The Hungry Caterpillar if you do.
  • Go for something that is as long as you are comfortable with.... if you are going for warmth of course.
  • Get one with a detachable hood. I prefer to wear a woolly hat and a scarf so like to be able to remove the hood if possible. It becomes too bulky with a hood as well!
  • Deep pockets. Not silly shallow ones that you can't bury your hands in.
  • Make sure it is cut in and shaped in some way, not just a large rectangle. You will look like a walking duvet otherwise. A belted waist or slightly flared hem can improve the look no end.
  • Go for a better filling and better quality coat every time. Down filled coats will last longer than synthetic filled coats and are lighter by far. You will not regret it.


There are so many now to choose from ranging from the ridiculously cheap to the ridiculously expensive. Again it is a question of personal choice and budget. Go for what you like and can afford! 

Happy shopping - in the warm.  









21 comments:

  1. I have two old ones ready and waiting for the real cold weather later on! Have a lovely weekend:)
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i managed to pick up a lovely warm mac in the m&s sale today as well so I feel I have my quota now too! X

      Delete
  2. That is good advice! I wish I had read some of these lI lookI wear it ime ast year when I bought my winter coat (or Parka) and I didn't check for deep pockets so the ones mine has are only for 'decorative' purposes, and I also didn't notice if it was shaped in at the waist or not! I mean, didn't I look at the mirror? Now every time I wear it I look like a cupboard with legs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a lovely description!! It's so hard to find one thats just right isn't it - as long as you are warm in the depths of winter though!!

      Delete
  3. I agree, there is only so much layering one can do - got myself a new duffle this year, from Tescos childrens dept of all places, it's lovely and warm! My husband says I look like Paddington Bear! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could go out for coffee together - Paddington Bear and The Hungry Caterpillar!! Lol Xx

      Delete
  4. Love the long puffas but unless we go into San Fran it doesn't quite get cold enough here in the East Bay. That silvery one looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not kidding ... they are expensive!! But if it keeps you warm, then definitely worth the money. I favour the silver one also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - pricey doesn't cover it, but I did get it at a £45 discount sale price so felt I was getting a bargain ( but wasn't really!) . It has got to last me 10 years hasn't it ....at least! x

      Delete
  6. Great advice - I could do with a good winter coat for football (watching!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice of colours and this is good advice for our British winters - hope it's not going to be too harsh this year. Today we have had blue skies and sunshine up here in the north. It makes a change from rain showers!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love the north face ones just not sure they are feminine enough for me. Plus I have a very small head so I think my head would look even tinier sticking out of the top! Have you seen the Crew sterling coats this year? Really warn with down inside and they do a pink one too....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Us bloggers are doing well with the down filled coat posts lately aren't we! Couldn't live without one when its cold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Converted! I tried one on over the weekend and love it. Real cosytoes for grown ups. I want the aubergine colourway. Just got to start saving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth every penny ! Until you try them on you don't believe it, but I'd live in mine if I could. Get your hands on one as soon as you can - sell a load of stuff on e.bay ( but not the children) ! Xx

      Delete
    2. I've started already! One cardi listed already! It takes me a while to get going. Maybe another by the end of the day :o) The coat shall be mine!

      Delete
    3. Well done! I have a pile of stuff I need to list. Tried Primark again after your great post! Did a little better ...have a post coming out about my ventures tomorrow! ( I did look for you lurking behind the jumpers!) X

      Delete
  11. I wish I lived in a country where I could layer up everyday. I love the jackets and boots you posted.
    I am following you now and would appreciate if you follow back.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog. Funnily enough, I've been thinking more and more about getting a puffer coat. I like mine with a huge hood though and preferably something waterproof because I hate carrying around an umbrella. It rains so much here anyway :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for following my blog! I'm now following you too :) I wish I could wear layers right now. It's still much too warm in California, so wearing a jacket is out of the question.

    ReplyDelete