Tuesday 2 October 2012

Water

Do you drink enough?


I don't. I know I don't. I generally wait until I feel thirsty and then I drink.

However, I read the other day on the NHS choices website:

"One of the first signs of dehydration is feeling thirsty."

Oops.

I know the amount of fluid you need depends on a number of factors including size and activity, but the recommended amount per day is about 8, 150ml glasses - that is about 1.2 litres of fluid. The amount of fluid our body needs is actually greater than this, but it gets this from other sources including food so you can't count that! 
The 1.2litres has to come from fluids. 

Contrary to popular opinion any fluid does count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest.

However, as with all topics there are many articles that also support the view of " drink when you are thirsty" . The view that drinking water will improve skin tone and appearance has been debated and probably proved to be unfounded. Water benefits your body, not your skin's moisture. You would be better applying a good moisturiser than drinking 6 - 8 glasses of water if that is your aim. 

My opinion - I do not consume 1.2litres of fluid . My biggest intake is coffee. 



If I drink anything else it usually is water, gulped down because I am thirsty. I also suffer from regular headaches and I know that my lack of water intake does not help. So my aim is to increase my intake of water. I doubt I will get to the dizzy heights of 1.2l a day, but a couple of bottle fulls will help I am sure. Everything in moderation!

So , to help me in my new resolve to drink an increased amount of water per day I have purchased one of these



This is a reusable bottle that filters water as you drink. It comes in three different sizes   ( s , m , l ). I have the medium for £9.99 . I often will buy a bottle of mineral water if I am out and about  - using another bottle and paying yet another £1.00. This is better for my pocket and the environment in the long run. The link to the website is here,Waterbobble, if you wish to look into this more. I am enjoying using this and certainly drinking more water - yeah! I just need to get into the habit of filling it and putting it in the fridge so it is nice and cold for first thing the next morning.

What is your opinion on the old 8 glasses of water a day debate?

Do you drink enough?

17 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea! I don't drink enough, must get one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am def drinking more - thinking of getting a small one to carry in my handbag too!

      Delete
  2. I don't drink enough water because, silly as it sounds, I don't really like it. I do, however, drink huge quantities of green tea every day, so I'm hoping that's my water intake covered. I think the bobble bottles are very cute. I bought one for my sister last year .. she's one of those size 8, marathon-running, excercise-loving people - hard to believe we're related really :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green tea counts ! I'm not sure I could drink much of it , but I do like peppermint tea now! X

      Delete
  3. I do drink 2lt of water a day. I force myself to do it because it helps me with my weight control. Also, not getting enough water in your system will make you feel tired (dehydration!) I use a 1lt bottle that I keep refilling and make sure I drink two of them every day. After a while I throw it away and get another one, but this "Waterbboble" is a fantastic idea, I should get one! There's one side effect though - going to the toilet TOO often!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - yes I have noticed that little side effect! I like water, especially if it is really cold - I just need it to hand so this is helping me! X

      Delete
    2. I'm back to let you know that you have been nominated for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers award. Congratulations! Check http://thegreekhousewife.blogspot.gr/2012/10/more-awards.html to find out about it!

      Delete
  4. I drink a lot of water. With it being so hot and dry here, it's hard not to. I'll have to see if they sell that Waterbobble here in the states.

    That being said, I love my coffee. I guess it all evens out. Your picture of coffee looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a coffee snob! We have our own fab machine as it has to be real coffee!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I drink a lot of water, more then I need, but this happened this year, and I have to say I feel way better.

    P.S. Enter my awesome giveaway
    http://drastic-plastic-fantastic-plastic.blogspot.ro/2012/09/littleblackdress-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make a lot of cups of Earl Grey in a day but rarely drink a full cup. I remember a brat I worked with once always went round declaring that sometimes when you think you are hungry, you are actually thirsty and that you should drink rather than eat first. I suppose it helps keep the weight down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get to the bottom of a cup of tea - is it having kids that does that to you do you think?! Not sure about the hungry think - if Im hungry I'm not sure anything but food would cut it! X

      Delete
  7. I feel quite thirsty all the time and have to make myself drink water, not sure why. My parents are the same, hardly drink any water. We drink a lot of bubbly water nowadays to remind us to drink, but someone told me the other day it erodes your calcium, not good for older women. Oh dear, its always something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that! Love bubbly water too :( Never mind. I love water as long as it is ice cold! X

      Delete
  8. Have to admit I do like water. One good thing about working in a stuffy office is you do get to drink your full quota more or less - when you're sat at your desk and your cup/bottle empties you just get up and fill it up! Harder when I'm not at work though, always so busy (as you full well know) I have to make a conscious effort! I have heard the theory about drinking instead of eating when you're hungry and I think there is some truth in it! Shame I don't live nearby, I'd love to pop in for one of your lovely coffees! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I think we'd talk for England ! We'll have to meet mid way one day! xx

      Delete