Thursday 11 October 2012

Post Children Fashion Sense.

Or lack of it......

If you were totally, completely honest with yourself I think most of us Mums would admit to their standards of dress sense sliding somewhat once children arrived on the scene. A combination of the shock of the time that one small baby could take up, your change in shape and diminishing funds all contributed to the demise of the image of the yummy mummy you may have set out to be. I am speaking from experience here, having had three gorgeous children who over the years drained me of time, energy and money, but filled our house with laughter, love and priceless memories. 

Love this!


I have always loved clothes and fashion and like any self respecting woman enjoy a good old shop. My first baby however took such joy in throwing up over everything in sight, it seemed pretty pointless to wear anything remotely 'nice' until he came through this stage. I was also waiting for the baby weight to miraclously fall off me. I was still waiting 6 months later. Who knew that the weight doesn't come off with the baby?! It is true when they say that with your first pregnancy you can't wait to wear maternity clothes, with your second pregnancy you are in your maternity clothes by month three, and by your third pregnancy your maternity clothes are your normal clothes! This was one of the hardest things for me,  adjusting to wearing clothes in a size and shape I'd never seen before.....long after giving birth.


And time - what happens to the time? How can small people take up so much time? The never ending rounds of feeding, toileting, clearing up, cleaning, feeding ( did I say that?) . Grounghog day doesn't cover it! How excited were you when you got your first child free hour to pop into town or just to do nothing!? 

For those of you still in this stage - I salute you ! Hang in there. Keep going . It gets, not easier, but different. The challenges change and you get to sleep, to go to the toilet on your own and  to feel human again.

My children are all now at school. My eldest has just started secondary school. Where did that time go? He has stopped throwing up on me, but seems to be losing his ability to use anything other than the floor to store things on. Over the last few years I have been able to rediscover my own idea of 'style', without compromising on time, money or energy needed for my family. After I had my third child , who is now 5, I made an effort to get to a size I was happy with and could embrace. For me it is not about being a size 8, but about being healthy and happy with the size you are and finding clothes that suit you. I am less concerned now about what others think and more interested in what works for me, what I love and what I am comfortable in. I dress for me, in what I enjoy.





As you emerge from the fog that having young children can so often create , enjoy rediscovering time for yourself. Experiment with your style a bit. Find out what suits you. Put yourself first on occasion. Start up a new hobby or relearn an old one. Create a few moments of time just for yourself. Your kids and family will be better for it. 

19 comments:

  1. Oh so, so, soooo true! With my kids being 10 and 12 I finally decided to take better care of myself and try to become (somewhat) the 'hot babe' I used to be b.c. (=Before Children)! I lost weight and started paying more attention to ME! With the financial crisis and all, my shopping for clothes is limited to few classic (but trendy) pieces. I can't be buying everything that comes into fashion and won't be in the next season. Let's not forget that as kids grow so do their expenses! So, I'm not #1 in my list but I'm definitely NOT last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eldest may be 23 and my youngest almost 12, but everything you have written rings true no matter how old your kids, I still have 3 at home so money and time is still a problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't believe where the money goes with kids - I tell mine they need to stop growing now. X

      Delete
  3. Well, I don't know Claire you look pretty amazing after 3!
    I'm having my first as you know and I hope I can still wear the clothes I truly like afterwards.
    Perhaps I'm being naive but damn it I'm going to put up a good fight anyway !

    Joanne

    http://www.balletpumpsandroses.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be fine!! Caring about it is the first hurdle!! It is just so easy not to be intentional about making time for yourselves as your priorities change when your gorgeous little bundle arrives....you go for it!! So exciting...I'm almost jealous!

      Delete
  4. I think you are a good mum based on what you said in this post! :D Btw love your top.

    Oh also, I would like to invite you and your readers to this new Bloggers Against Social Injustice network where fashion bloggers come together to make this world a better place.

    You can join in the fun by participating in events organized by the Bloggers Against Social Injustice committee & also at the same time spread the words of such good cause.

    Play your part & help those unheard voice be heard. You are just a click away! :)

    Website: http://bloggersagainstsocialinjustice.blogspot.com
    Facebook: Click here for our Facebook
    Twitter: Click here for our Twitter

    I hope to see you there! :)
    Cassandra
    backtofive.blogspot.com
    Bloggers Against Social Injustice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post.
    You look so wonderful and like you have never given birth. I love your shoes.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I think the camera is being kind in this one!

      Delete
  6. Great post Claire - I can completely identify! I think I've told you before I used to be a total fashion victim but just don't seem to have the time or energy for that now! I do try but usually end up in my jeans (as you also know) - just haven't quite got it together yet as you have! I do envy your glam/well groomed style - I always looks dishevelled (like Alexa Chung's embarrassing relation - which is not good because I love Alexa's style!) Must go to gym now and 'create a few moments of time for myself' (and stop waffling!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made myself promise whI gave up work I would wear make up and style my hair. Of course I have my track suit and ugg days too.

      Delete
    2. Jenny - well done for going to the gym !! The most I manage is a swim and jeans are the best btw! X

      Delete
  7. It was one thing I promised myself when I gave up work that I would always wear make up and style my hair. I try most days but of course I need my track suit and ugg day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - I'm in my tracksuit bottoms every evening too!! X

      Delete
  8. I never lost the interest but I did lose the will. I am a great one for creature comforts and love my joggy bots and I'm usually in them as soon as I can but if I step out of the door, I do try and put on the "face" - not the one with the eyes, ears, nose and mouth - just the clothes face so I look reasonably put together ... and that I still care. It can be difficult if you are stuck at home with a little one and you're not going anywhere so why would you dress up but sometimes just making that little bit of effort makes you feel so much better. I picked up my game after having George and befriending a lady down the road who always made that effort. She said she did it because she didn't do it after her first and she spent all of her time in saggy pants. Second time round - sparkles and bling! Though I'm not sparkles and bling - I dress up but in my own casual manner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was awful after my first - baggy bottoms,covered in baby sick and 2 stone overweight for months and months. It was terrible, but somehow at the time I was so in love with my baby it didn't matter..... until I look back at pictures and my children "ask who is that?"!!

      Delete
  9. Great post - I know I have slacked off in the wardrobe department in the last few years, but can I just say that you look fabulous - very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your style and your PLAYLIST! Thanks for sharing. Stopped in from the myfroley blog hop!

    ReplyDelete