Wednesday 10 October 2012

Wednesday Beauty Buys

SuperDrugs Vitamin E Hot Cloth Cleanser






I have followed with interest the arrival of the hot cloth cleansers on the market . In particular of course I have heard a lot about the hot cloth cleanser from Liz Earle. I have decided to look a bit more closely at some of the alternatives to the Liz Earle product over the next few weeks.

I became aware of this Hot Cloth Cleanser form Superdrug through a blog review that looked fairly positive so thought I'd start with this one. I am however, always a little wary of Vitamin E as my skin has a slight intolerance to excessive amounts of it. Despite it's excellent moisturising qualities it can cause greasiness and break outs if not used with caution in some cases ( as can cocoa  butter I have heard). However, as it was a cleanser and not a heavy moisturiser I felt it would be beneficial.

This retails at £5.99  for a whopping 200ml tube and is selling at £1 off at the moment. An excellent price and the muslin cloth is included as well. The down side is, it is not free from parabens and is not as natural as the Liz Earle product, but the price of course reflects this. A question again of choice and budget. The cloth is a vital part of these cleansers as the muslin fabric allows an element of exfoliation to occur with the circular massage when removing the cream. You apply the cream to the face in small circular motions and then remove it with the muslin cloth soaked in hot water. You then rinse with cold water. 

 I have combination skin with occasional dry patches. I have used this for 6 days so far and I am pleasantly pleased. Although I would say this does not remove all traces of eye make up I am going to be slightly controversial here and say that a facial cleanser should not be doing that anyway. The best way to remove make up fully is to use a proper eye make remover first or as I do, use a precleanse. I use Dermalogicas precleanse. It goes on and feels quite oily, but is not at all. It breaks down even the most stubborn of eye make up. You rinse with water and then cleanse your skin with your chosen facial cleanser. This ensures skin is squeaky clean after cleansing.




The hot cloth cleanser from Superdrug is thick and creamy. It felt lovely on my skin, although I would not recommend using more than a small 10p amount as it goes a long way. The hot cloth feels smashing on your skin, cleanses the skin completely and I must confess my skin looks all the better for it. I am combining it with my dermalogica moisturisers and scrubs, but at the moment it seems an excellent buy. Good value for money and a great product. You can buy SuperDrugs Hot Cloth Cleanser here

I've decided against the Liz Earle cleanser myself as I have read just one too many reviews about people who had reactions to it with their skin breaking out. With my sensitive skin I think I would be one of the unlucky ones here. However, there are a number of other Hot Cloth Cleansers on the market now that are worth a look at and depending on your requirements and budget, definitely worth a try. Here are 5 that I think look a good and vaired selection. I will be reviewing a couple of these over the next few weeks.


  • No7 from Boots . Beautiful Skin Hot Cloth Cleanser . £9.95 for 200ml. They have a 3 for 2 offer on No 7 at the moment and don't forget you can use your No7 skin voucher on this too. You can buy this here.
  • Soap and Glory Fab Pore Hot Cloth Cleanser. £10 for 100ml. Purchase here


  • Asda nspa Hot Cloth Polish .£7.00 for 150ml. This is paraben free and not tested on animals. Purchase here



  • Pai cleanser with muslin cloth. £25 for 100ml. Paraben free. Purchase here
Camellia & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser





















  • Sanctuary Spa Polishing Hot Cloth Cleanser £10.20 for 125ml. Purchase here

If you lose or need extra muslin cloths they can be bought from a variety of places. These are some I like:



Where are you on the Hot Cloth Cleanser Band Wagon?

11 comments:

  1. I agree that you definitely need a separate cleanser for eye makeup. Otherwise you wake up with serious panda eyes next morning! I've never tried the muslin cloth cleanser range, despite reading about Liz Earle. Interesting to see that there are now other more affordable ranges on the market. I think it's something that I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear a fair bit of eye make up so spread it all over my face if I cleanse in one go! Not a pretty sight!! Ha! It's not bad at getting eye make off too though if you wanted to...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review Claire - definitely something to consider for the future (when I've used my small army of products up!). I do actually use my current cleansing balm (Emma Hardie - in process of writing review) to remove my eye make-up (sorry) but it does so really well (as to be fair Liz Earle also did)and you know how much mascara that involves! Suppose it's just what you get used to xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the more 'expensive' ones like Liz Earle are probably better at removing everything too. ( although I dont think it is that expensive!) I've not tried the Liz Earle one, but my skin is now reacting to the Vit E in this Superdrug cleanser too so not sure about it. The cleanser I love is a Priori one but unfortunately it costs £60 and you aren't allowed to use it on your eyes so I need to find a cheaper alternative my skin is happy with! I have about half a bottle of it left and am eeking it out to last till Christmas...hint hint hubby!! I will look forward to the review of the Emma Hardie! Xx

      Delete
  3. I have sensitive skin so I steer away from hot cleansers I feel they make my red veins worse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good product...but I have super sensitive skin, do you think it would irritate? I'm currently looking for a good moisturizer for winter in MN :( My skin gets dry, but has a tendency to be oily, so I hate heavy, greasy lotions.

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think anything that is a bit heavy on the Vit E is great for dry skins, but can cause irritation if your skin is sensitive. This is a rich, creamy cleanser and feels great, but I think would be a bit heavy for you. Dermalogica do a fantastic range that is great for sensitive skin - I use a lot of their products and have never had a reaction! A great moisturiser for oily or combination skin is Neutrogenas Visibly Clear Oil Free Moisturiser....not too expensive either! Hope that helps! Xx

      Delete
  5. I love Skinvelop The Cleanser, Liz Earle C&P Lavender and Rose, Myroo Starflower & Orange Blossom Cleanser and Balance Me Cleanse and Smooth Face Balm x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the Boots No.7 Radiance Boosting Hot Cloth Cleanser which comes with its little muslin cloth but I prefer to use a regular flannel as the thin muslin doesn't hold in the heat enough. And I know I'm supposed to use cold water to tone but I am such a wuss and never do that step ... probably why I'm a wrinkled prune. But I like it and it does feel nice. And it doesn't break the bank especially when purchasing with one of the Boots offers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think the No 7 looks a really good deal - It's a huge bottle for a good price too! I think flannel probably do just a good a job as anything. We tend to jump on the band wagon with some things - muslin cloth and everyone has to use it! As long as it is a clean, decent quality cloth of some sorts it will do the job won't it? I use a toner instead of cold water anyway - not as cold! X

      Delete