Friday 12 October 2012

Removing Nail Polish

In one swipe!


Ok so I am a bit of a nail polish junkie - there I said it.



This is my favourite colour at the moment, Essie Chocolate Cakes. It is a lovely brown with a hint of red to it. It is the first Essie polish I have purchased from Superdrug - primarily because they have only just caught up with the rest of the country and started stocking them down 'ere! The chunky brush is so much better for application in these bottles. Here is one of my other favourite nail polishes, Orly  . 

A friend pointed me in the direction of this fantastically simple and economic way of removing your nail polish on Pinterest using one cotton ball and a bit of nail polish remover. Far quicker and better for your nails than scrubbing away with numerous bits of cotton wool and it really does work. 

So here are the steps.

1. Get nail polish remover and a couple of cotton balls ( I get two incase I spill anything!)

  My nail Polish remover is just the cheapest from Superdrug. Nothing special.

 Nail Polish is Esssie Chocolate Cake - 2 coats, plus Orly 3 in1 top and base coat. So we are removing 4 coats in total here!

 2. Unroll the cotton ball.


 3. Cut or tear the cotton ball in half length ways.

  4.Cut or tear one strip into 10 small pieces - one for each nail!

 5.Cut the second strip in 2.


 6. Put a small amount of nail polish remover into a pot ( I use the lid)

 7. Dip the end of each piece of cotton wool into the remover in turn and wrap tightly onto your nail.


 This does not have to be neat and the cotton wool does not have to be soaking wet ( it will run all over your hand if it is too wet!). Push each bit of cotton wool into the corners of the nail.

8. Leave for a minute or two.

 9. Fold the other pieces of cotton wool in half and using one for each hand, push firmly down and with one wipe pull the polish off from the nail bed to the tip. Hey presto. A clean nail!






10. Any tiny bits that are left can quickly be tidied up, but if done well this is not needed. Forgive my yellowing nails - too much bright nail colour on there lately!!


Try this, it takes less than 5 minutes and really works well.It is perfect for resistant or stubborn polishes and saves on the cotton wool balls ! Makes me sound so tight, but when you change your nail polish as often as I do, you go through a fair bit of this stuff and you know me - anything to save the pennies!



Go on, try it - I guarantee you won't go back to the old way ever again!

14 comments:

  1. Great tip and what a lovely colour. I am getting my Shellac done this afternoon. I am a Shellac addict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love shellac too - takes all the chip element out, but I didn't like the regrowth and couldn't justify the pennies to keep up with it!! It is an occasional treat now - I shall probably have them done for Christmas with some pretty sparkles! X

      Delete
  2. Seems like a lot of work to remove nail polish but I really like that Essie colour. I'm a Shellac girl also, which means someone else has to do the work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really isn't! It is far quicker than scrubbing with nurmerous cotton wool balls. Until you do it you don't realise how quickly it works. I was very sceptical until I tried it. I do love shellac, but it is a bit pricey for me to keep up with it!! X

      Delete
  3. Going to try this out because I find scrubbing my nails to remove polish such a bind! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too , but I think it's because I use long stay and put four to five coats on to make it last!!! I didn't believe it would come off in one wipe, but it really did. So much easier for me!!! Although I do love shellac - just not the cost :( Need to buy my own lamp and kit then I could do it myself!!

      Delete
  4. i dunk my nails into one of those remover sponges in a jar...if that makes sense??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know - I've seen them but not tried them yet!! X

      Delete
  5. I'm a nail polish junkie too :), I love it so much, the way the nails look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love it! Must try it! May not be quick the first time but once I do it a few times it will get faster. So simple! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Essie colour! Great idea with the cotton wool x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely going to have to try this, I hate scrubbing at polish for forever trying to get it off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I REALLY need to stop biting my nails so I can paint my nails like this. haha. It's such a bad habit...it's HARD to break it though! haha. newest follower from the blog hop! excited to read more posts from ya!

    ReplyDelete